Thracian Discovery - Land of the Bulgars 10 Days
Enjoy the cultured mixture of Hellenic, Thracian, Celtic, Bulgar, Roman and Jewish histories as we travel through one of the most interesting lands on the planet - Bulgaria. From Rose fields to Ancient Neolithic Thracian tombs dug into the mountainsides of Mid-Bulgaria, you'll be experiencing a plethora of styles, epochs, cultures, languages and regional identities. Bulgaria is one of the world's most interesting countries and the variety of foods, wines, architecture, people and more will really open up your mind. Take this trip, it comes highly recommended from the Directors who visited in summer 2021.
Itinerary and Specifics
- Experience the Ancient World better than anyone - we have tremendous contacts and experience to achieve whatever you're looking for.
- Go wine tasting and meet the winemakers in Europe's oldest vineyards.
- See the highest mountains in the Balkans and breath the purest air in Europe
- Experience some of the world's most scenic landscapes
- Get off the beaten track, we are known for this
- Meet the locals - engage in humour and share stories
- Learn some of the local Ancient languages - pick up a few phrases and practice Slavic
- Connect with your Ancestors - many people from all over the world have links to the Balkans.
- Return relaxed, informed and in love with the Bulgarian Balkans
- 4 Star Acccomodation or equivalents on a Bed and Breakfast Basis
- Meet and Greet at Airport
- Transfers to and from hotel
- Expert driver/guide
- Comfortable touring vehicle
- Local knowledge, recommendations and help with any bookings you want to make
- Porterage - 1 piece per person in and out of hotels
- Flights - purchase your own flights in/out of destination
- Gratuities minimum recommeneded $10 per person per day
- Lunches and Dinners - we like our guests to be able to choose their own dining options
- Any entrances to musuems, attractions and concerts - most of what you're looking for will be free entrance anyway.
Arrive in Sofia, ancient Capital of Bulgaria and the most populous city. Relax in the surrounds of the old city and explore Vitosha street with the snow-covered peak in the background. Check-into hotel after your meet and greet, freshen up and meet with the local guide for a walking tour from your central location. Ask as many questions as you can, this is your opportunity to understand Serdika, the old Celtic name for the city. There are many great dining options and a lot of cultural gems to uncover, such as the national history musuem.
Today we'll enjoy the UNESCO Bojana Church dating back to the 11th century and see untouched splendours in this historic setting perched high above the capital. Breath the fresh air and learn all about the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, the Bulgarian language, Slavic tribes and more. See gold, lapis lapsilum and more as you see the famous Church wall frescoes bringing a millenary life back to the present day. Truly a magnificent visit. Enjoy the mountainous cuisine in a local, traditional restaurant if you wish and enjoy the splendorous views down to the plains below.
In the afternoon, return to Sofia to enjoy more culture, coffee, and musuems with our local bilingual guide and driver, who'll give you the panoramic city tour you dreamt of.
Today we head for the highest mountainous region in the Carpathians. By visiting the spectacular Rila Monastery, you will fully understand the beauty of nature here and why the monks of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church decided to live high up the valley, untouched by the passing troops of the Ottomon armies and other invaders into Bulgaria over the centuries. Life continues at an even pace, tucked away in a mountainous corner of this splendid high-altitude paradise.
Continue south after lunch at the monastery restaurant to the spectacular upland region criss-crossed by vineyards, farms, streams, meadows, rivers, ravines and mountains alike. Overnight in the countryside with a traditional Bulgarian family on their farm. Meet the animals and see how they live, as well as enjoy pure, clean air and fresh, organic foods all from the farm.
Today we cross the Rodopi mountains of Southern Bulgaria, close to the Greek Border. Sample local cheeses, local foods and wines and admire the spectacular views in this tremendously historic area. Stop for a cruise on the famous lake with Dospat city nearby. Enjoy the history of the region as it peppers your travel through the high mountains. Stop to meet some local people in a village in the high plains and learn about life through the seasons. See the animals, notice the architecture, experience local customs and clothin